Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

parking problems at dtd???

Has anyone ever had problems parking at DTD? We are going around Christmas and don't know if driving to dtd will be a bad idea?

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
njmeisje
Mouseketeer

Yes - parking at dtd is a challenge if you arrive later in the day. We've had problems at the busier times of the year.....in the summer, christmas and easter. If you are patient, wait, circle around -- you eventually get a spot, But it can be frustrating. With that said, we still prefer driving over the bus.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
DVC~OKW~96
I'm not big on gold as a color. As a metal...that's another story
Spreading the word is an important thing!

Park on the West Side, all the way in the back near the back entrance to House of Blues. You'll easily find a spot there and it really is a nice walk from one end of DTD to another.

It's hard to find a spot on the Market Place end because that is where everyone wants to be.

Parking on the West Side can actually save time!

I look into the window of my mind
Reflections of the fears I know I've left behind
I step out of the ordinary
I can feel my soul ascending
I am on my way
Can't stop me now
And you can do the same
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
It's never too late to try
What have you done today to make you feel proud?
Heather Small
DVC~OKW~96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
Suellen
DIS Veteran

We always have a hard time finding a place. I wonder how many are parking there and busing to MK. I would hope the numbers aren't too high ~ but it always seems like there are a lot less people than you would expect for the amount of cars.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I always park on the side closest to Pleasure Island. Since it's closed, there's plenty of spaces on that side. Busses are always slow there.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suellen View Post
We always have a hard time finding a place. I wonder how many are parking there and busing to MK. I would hope the numbers aren't too high ~ but it always seems like there are a lot less people than you would expect for the amount of cars.
There are no buses to the parks from DTD.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

The only time we had a hard time finding a spot was last July at dinner time. We had to park farther out in the West End lot. It would have taken a while to get a spot closer, so we just took one of the outer spots.

Most of the time, especially during the day, we've had no trouble whatsoever.

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
vettechick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #8
3floridarays
Somebody's got to nail that girl's fins to the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC~OKW~96 View Post
Park on the West Side, all the way in the back near the back entrance to House of Blues. You'll easily find a spot there and it really is a nice walk from one end of DTD to another.

It's hard to find a spot on the Market Place end because that is where everyone wants to be.

Parking on the West Side can actually save time!

This is what we did when we were there Dec 18-23 last Christmas. We did manage to find a close spot at the Market Place one day, but we got there really early. We never had a problem finding a space on the West Side, even at night.

ME DH DS-12
3floridarays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

It should be pretty easy to park in the Pleasure Island area. Just park as close to one of the entrances as you can and walk through the Pleasure Island buildings to get to the Marketplace.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
mountdew1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats Dragon View Post
Has anyone ever had problems parking at DTD? We are going around Christmas and don't know if driving to dtd will be a bad idea?
As PP's have said, parking at the Marketplace side can be a little tough. Even during non busy times, that side can get crowded. Parking towards Pleasure Island or West Side can definitely help to alleviate the crowds.

Quote:
There shouldn't be that many. First off, there is no direct bus service to the parks from DTD, specifically for this reason. Personally, I don't think its worth the hassle. It could easily take you an hour each way to do the transfers. 2 hours out of a park day is more than worth either paying to park, or staying on property. Figure a full day ticket at $84, from 9A to 9P, thats 7 bucks an hour. So the $12 or so parking is equal to the 2 hours of transit just for the first person. Anyone after that is a losing preposition.

Yes, some people may do it, but there are alot of stores that people can hide in.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
There are no buses to the parks from DTD.
I told this story someplace here the other day... but when we were there in Sept staying at SSR ~ we were on the bus with some women who was saying that she parked at DTD and walked to SSR to get the bus.

She went on to say what a pain it was the the bus made all kinds of stops and how much the Disney transportation sucked. It was way to slow... yada, yada, yada. DH and I just gave each other that look and kept shaking our heads in agreement with her.

I couldn't believe that anyone would waste all that time to save the 12? 14? dollars ~ but she was quite proud of herself and was happy that the off site hotel she was staying at suggested it ~ but man this bus takes a long time to get to the park.

Now every time I go to DTD via car I wonder.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I told this story someplace here the other day... but when we were there in Sept staying at SSR ~ we were on the bus with some women who was saying that she parked at DTD and walked to SSR to get the bus.

She went on to say what a pain it was the the bus made all kinds of stops and how much the Disney transportation sucked. It was way to slow... yada, yada, yada. DH and I just gave each other that look and kept shaking our heads in agreement with her.

I couldn't believe that anyone would waste all that time to save the 12? 14? dollars ~ but she was quite proud of herself and was happy that the off site hotel she was staying at suggested it ~ but man this bus takes a long time to get to the park.

Now every time I go to DTD via car I wonder.
Oh yeah, I'm sure people do it all the time. Many SSR owners complain that the bus stops are extra crowded with people that have walked over from DTD. I agree with you though - if you have to pay for parking because you chose to stay off-site, it's just part of the price of your vacation -- there are trade-offs everywhere!
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

Thanks!! Not planning on going to the parks from dtd but like the convenience of leaving dtd w/o waiting for buses.

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: