Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #46
cajunfan
Welcome to the DIS where wishes really DO come true! :)

I really miss working at my Disney Store! I miss the guest interaction. But anyone thinking about it...be prepared...if you have never worked retail, it is an eye-opener. Very fast paced. It is truely a lot of hard physical work sometimes...especially processing merchandise in and just keeping stock on the shelves and it being neat...of course I woked in an Outlet Store, and some of the guest we had in there were rather uhmmmm...distructive.

Oh, and though I LOVED the perks, I realize now that I truely LOVED the happiness that guest interaction brought me! It really made me smile...sometimes the memories of those times still do!

lynn
Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #47
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunfan View Post
Oh, and though I LOVED the perks, I realize now that I truely LOVED the happiness that guest interaction brought me! It really made me smile...sometimes the memories of those times still do!

lynn
Lynn, I feel the same way about my time working at Disney on Broadway. I was (and still am) a theater junkie and I LOVED being "behind the scenes" at the theater - even though we weren't allowed anywhere near the stage, lol. I also worked with a great team & we had a lot of fun together.

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
April 2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
May 2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach (DD2's 1st Trip!)

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #48
IndayMichelle
Hopelessly addicted to DLR and WDW popcorn

FYI if any of the OP are in the Seattle area, the Disney internet group often hires contractors for positions. DBF started out in a contracted position and was offered a permanent position in a few months. Being a slave to the mouse has resulted in some awesome trips!

The crazy part is that he has a degree in English and now is helping build tools to serve ads on all their sites. There are so many other opportunities to be a CM that don't put you in the parks or in TDS.

I'm sure those who work for local Disney owned ABC affiliate stations get some sort of perks too....

PS PatMcDuck your Shibas are adorable!!!

Disneyland 9/04, 9/06, 1/10, 3/10, 11/10, 4/11, 7/11, 10/11, 1/12, Leap Day 2012, 3/12
Contemporary Resort 7/00 - Caribbean Beach Resort 9/08 - Polynesian Resort 4/10

IndayMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #49
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
I'm not sure why they would care if you disclosed your benefits. The point of benefits is to attract employees...

Others have posted up to 50% discounts at resorts, a 'silver pass' for assistant managers that lets you and your dependents in free, other employees have posted a smaller amount of park passes I'm not sure of, I want to say it's something like 4 one day passes once or twice a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisneyGirl02 View Post
I think part of the reason that they don't want us to disclose our benefits is because it may attract the people for the wrong reasons. Working at the store is hard work - lots of fun, but still very hard work. If people want to get a job at the store just so they can get the benefits, they are applying for the wrong reasons.
People who work at the studio are not allowed to discuss benefits within earshot of guests, either. Everyone on this board can be considered a guest so there you go. It isn't so much touting the benefits to attract guests, it is more of a concern about showing off.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #50
mommyof2princesses
Being mom to 2 princessess is a lot of work!

I left TDS about a year ago, but we got up to 50% off rooms, free tickets twice a year that are good for 2 years (I got 4 twice a year - myself, dh and 2 kids..if you are single you get 2 twice a year), 20% off merchandise at the stores in disney world. You get a discount on the cruise too, but I don't know how much. You have to be there 3 months before you get these benefits and seasonal employees do not get these benefits.

When Disney took back TDS from TCP it was a mess and no one knew anything about benefits. I finally called the cast line and set up my ressies that way. It was the one and only time I got to stay at a deluxe resort! I didn't go to work there for the discount but because I love anything Disney! Those benefits were just icing on the cake! Our last Disney Trip in 09 we went to the park 8 days due to all the free tickets I racked up! And I wasn't even working for Disney anymore, I had saved them up.

2/2014 Boardwalk Girls only!12/2013 POFQ FD1/29/12 POFQ FD POP 1/11 FD! Disneyland 4/10 POFQ 9/09 FD
AKL 9/08 POFQ 9/07 FD POFQ 9/06 FDg POFQ 10/05 Kids first trip!
Off property Honeymoon Trip 12/00 Off property 4/82 My first trip!
http://myrunningshoeisaglasssliper.blogspot.com/
mommyof2princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #51
tavettava
DIS Veteran

I would love to work there, but they have closed all 10 around us. The nearest one is 75 miles away.
April-May 2009 AKL Villa DVC
November 2009 Caribbean Beach Resort

Dh Me Dd ds

tavettava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #52
elleinad16
One of 11 couples to tie the knot at Disney World on 11-11-11!

So does anyone know if there are health benefits? And if yes, what are they?
Also, does The Disney Store offer paid sick days or vacations after a certain time???

I'd like to know these benefits more than discounts and such.
November 2003 - WDW: Yacht Club CL • December 2004 - DLR: Offsite • December 2005 - DLR: Offsite • August 2006 - DCL: Disney Wonder-Bahamas • May 2009 - WDW: Coronado Springs • September 2009 - DLR: Inaugural D23 Expo • May 2010 - WDW: Port Orleans French Quarter • August 2010 - WDW: POP Century • November 2010 - D23: Fantasia Boston Event • March 2011 - WDW: Day Trip • May 2011 - WDW: Wilderness Lodge CL • November 2011 - WDW: Grand Floridian for our Disney Fairy Tale Wedding • May 2012 - D23: Boston FANniversary Event & WDW: Caribbean Beach • September 2012 - DVC: Vero Beach • October 2012 - D23: Wreck-It Ralph Boston Event • February 2013 - WDW : Art of Animation • May 2014 - DVC: Hilton Head Island!
elleinad16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #53
michelle06
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know the current benefits? Is it still for your whole family? I read somewhere else that you can get one free character meal. I have worked retail and am familiar with it and am possibly looking for a job. If I knew there was somewhere with good benefits, I would definitely consider TDS. I was hoping to find health and other type benefits but that's hard if you are a regular retail worker. So, Disney perks might fill a gap!
michelle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #54
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

I am trying to find a new job. I am 17 and really want to work at The Disney Store. Most people can't immediately tell that I am under 18. I know that disney usually like to have 18 and older but I have heard that they sometimes hire people who are under 18. I am willing to give it a shot even if it may not work. Does anyone have any advise?

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #55
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

I was at the Disney Store Outlet on Sat, the cm's were all complaining about only getting 5 hours a week, this was apparently an improvement after 3 cm's were let go because there was no payroll money for them.

I wouldn't try and get a job with them. Get a job elsewhere and save that money strickley for disney, so even without a discount you have extra spending money.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:22 PM   #56
TheDisneyGirl02
I found my Disney Prince!
Animals that have gone through the taxidermy process scare like nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-fan-22 View Post
I am trying to find a new job. I am 17 and really want to work at The Disney Store. Most people can't immediately tell that I am under 18. I know that disney usually like to have 18 and older but I have heard that they sometimes hire people who are under 18. I am willing to give it a shot even if it may not work. Does anyone have any advise?
I don't know how it works at the Parks, but at the Disney Stores, you must be 18. In the past (when we were 'owned' by The Children's Place), we did hire people at age 16, but not now.

As far as only getting a few hours a week - I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love my job, the people I work with and the guests who I can make magical experiences for. Sure I'm not going to make a lot of money, but for me, the magic makes up for it.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #57
KerryCM
DIS Veteran

Location: Murfreesboro, TN now, but will always be a MA girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle06 View Post
Does anyone know the current benefits? Is it still for your whole family? I read somewhere else that you can get one free character meal. I have worked retail and am familiar with it and am possibly looking for a job. If I knew there was somewhere with good benefits, I would definitely consider TDS. I was hoping to find health and other type benefits but that's hard if you are a regular retail worker. So, Disney perks might fill a gap!
I can tell you you do not get a free character meal. I have been with the store for almost 18 years now and I have seen so many people com and go because they say it is not like any retail store they have worked at!!!! I love my job and would not trade it for anything. I a retired teacher who began working for fun while still teaching and have kept it up. I have opened and closed my original store and was lucky enought to transfer to another nearby store.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #58
kenjidm
Earning My Ears

Can someone tell me what the employee discount is as of today for seasonal workers? What is the current discount?

Thanks for your time
kenjidm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #59
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMcDuck View Post
I worked at a Disneystore for 5 years. I loved it, and left after Childrens Place took over. I am trying to get hired back, but will probably have to wait until the holidays. Holiday CMS are brought in as "casuals", ie temporary cast members. Casuals used to only get the store discount, I think. Casuals did not get the picture ID, for example.

No time off is allowed in November and December, that was one rule. You needed to be available usually one shift both Sat and Sun, or available all day one of the two days. Plus 2 other shifts. That rule varied by store, and store needs though. You could have up to 2-3 "call in shifts per week". With those, you call in 2 hours before you are scheduled to see if you were working. That was hard on some people who needed to arrange sitters.

When I worked there it was strict on the dress code, but most adult CMs are fine with that. (ie tatoos, piercings, facial hair, fingernail length and polish color, jewelry, etc)

We worked hard, and sometimes the rules seemed to not make sense, like bothering the guests. Lots of cleaning, (one newish CM quit when she was told to clean the CM bathroom), ladder climbing(up very high too backstage), lifting, folding. Sometimes you need to push for sales, too.

I LOVED it though! I hope I can go back. If you have like retail, have patience and can accept working 25 hours one week, and then 4-8 hours many other weeks, this might be a good job for you.

The best benefits were at the parks in the old days, but we did not get much off on park tickets at all. I do not think they have released the new benefits store CMs will have.
I worked as a casual for a very short time and I still have my picture iD somewhere. I rec'd a couple of complimentary passes twice a year. This was quite a while back - maybe 2000? And a small discount - maybe 20 %? I think I remember it being increased at Xmas and getting to buy at closing at a one time 50% off?

Anyway - it was fun for the moment but since I had a full time regular job, it wasn't for me. My regular job was asking for 50 hour weeks and the DS wanted me all weekend! I couldn't keep up that pace. DS had hired me with the 'you'll work maybe 3 hours a weekend' and it turned into much more very quickly.

Disney is very regimented - not all can stand this. The employees that were successful there seemed to have drank a LOT of the disney koolaid. (This may have just been my store!) They were all lovely people though.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #60
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dizney View Post
ha ha.. well anyone who is on this board 24/7, (like me) would definately be trying to work there for the love of all things Disney. I'm a stalker at my local store. I would think to ask here what the potential perks could be as to not specifically ask during an interview process. However, the part of any good interview is for both parties to know exactly what they are getting themselves involved in. The good, (work envoirnent.. benefits etc.. The bad.. and the ugly) It helps both parties to make a solid decision on the employment status and therefore hopefully reduces the job turnover rate.

Exactly! And with what is basically a minimum wage job to start, to find quality people there have to be some perks. Disney asks a lot from the employees.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: