Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #616
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieTheCat24 View Post
Strangely enough, I actually find Goofy's Barnstormer way more scary than BTMRR. I have a bit of a heights issue so the mountain itself is kinda comforting because I never really feel like I'm off the ground. That's why I pray to god I'm never on Space Mountain with the lights on. I'd go into full-on panic.

OK your tiger pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I am so jealous that they were actually up and moving around. I would have cried too. When I was younger, I spent years obsessed with white tigers after I saw them actually being active and stuff at Busch Gardens. I still have the little white tiger snow globe I bought to commemorate the day. Tigers are such amazing animals.
That's interesting. Thanks for explaining. I get what you mean about BTMRR being really grounded. I'll definitely tell Lee-Anne that. I was so bummed/fascinated when I saw Space with the lights on. It was like finding out Santa Clause wasn't real. I mean, he's definitely real... but you know, if he wasn't, I assume that's what finding that out would feel like.

Thanks! I really want to go to Busch Gardens but as usual I never want to leave Disney for anything. But I've heard it's a great park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
It is truly amazing to be surrounded by Disney stuff all the time! I find new stuff and freak out every day. It's so perfect. Plus then not only do you know when everything goes on such great sales, but then you get the CM discount on top of them. It's SO AMAZING. I love it sooooooo much!!

Just the idea of Pascal in a ToT outfit makes me smile SO MUCH! Gahhh I can't even tell you how many people come into the Store looking for Pascal stuff and he has been sold out FOREVER. Like C'mon Disney! Can't you tell how beloved that little guy is? MAKE MORE OF HIM IN EVERYTHING!!

I cannot wait until you have a ToT bathrobe too. Please take a pic while riding ToT for me. And then we can be like twins!!

No luck with the lost and found. It's also frustrating because all you do is leave a message but they have such high volume that they only call you back if they think they have it. So who knows? At least I didn't lose it like right before a Disney trip or anything. Just have to add a new one into expenses now. And I hate being old enough to have "expenses" and "budgets" and such. Those sound like such disgusting words.

Bengal Breakout is in the works!! You should also star in it, btw.
Ahh that's awesome! What is your discount there, if you don't mind me asking? Do you get discounts on sale merchandise?

Pascal is seriously one of the most adorable characters they've created in awhile and they really need to give him his due!

HAHA I so will. This is one of my things on my to do list this trip!

Ugh, I'm sorry about your camera. If it helps, mine's a Canon Powershot A1200 and it was only $97 and it's pretty awesome. Like, the one I was using before that (which broke at Disney) was over $400 back in 2006 and I'd say it's about equal with the Canon. It had more settings which was nice, but overall I think I like the Canon more. So hopefully you won't have to spend a fortune to get a great camera!

YES I should star in it! I should star in SOMETHING. Sigh. LOL.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #617
__disneygirl

DECEMBER 12, 2011
Day 7, Part 3 In Which I Am Almost Clark Griswold

Who else loves the Vacation movies?

I know, I know... it's like, why even ask that question. How could you NOT love the Vacation movies? Clark, Ellen, RUSS!!!!!!!! (Right here, Dad!), Audrey, and of course... Eddie. OH, and we can't forget about Aunt Edna. "Dad, tell Audrey to stop pushing Aunt Edna on me!!!!!!!!"

Gotta love 'em.

If you DON'T... go rent/buy/download these movies. NOW.

My favorite is the original Vacation, but Christmas Vacation is a close second. I watch it every single December while decorating my room for Christmas.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore, folks. They really don't.

Anywho... there was really only ONE thing that could pull me away from the glorious tigers I was crying over in Asia.

And that was the promise of Disney Food.

It was lunch time, so we went over to the Yak & Yeti counter service location.

I just got a side of Fried Rice:

Sorry there is no picture of the actual food. I'm going to do WAY better with food pictures on my October trip. I promise. I even plan to do a full out DINING REPORT. So prepare for that awesomeness.

So... the rice was okay, but nothing to write home about. At first, I didn't like it, but then I kept eating and realized that it just wasn't the fried rice I was used to from NY/NJ chinese food restaurants. There really was nothing wrong with it, it was just a bit different.

I can't remember what my mom got, but I do remember that for dessert she got the Cinnamon Glazed Pecans. One of the BEST Disney snacks. But their deliciousness is not why I remember that she got them.

The reason I specifically remember them is because they caused a disaster.

Of course. RUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The story goes like this. We sat and ate. My mom had some of her pecans.

A cute little squirrel then approached our table. My mom did something you are never supposed to do: she purposely dropped a pecan on the ground, which the squirrel quickly devoured.

Then another.

I told her she shouldn't. Everyone knows you aren't supposed to feed stray animals because they will keep coming back. I mean, my mom knows this. But she is a huge animal lover and said the squirrel seemed hungry so she felt bad.

So she dropped yet another nut. "Accidentally". For the squirrel to enjoy. And enjoy it he did. You could tell by the maniacal look growing in his eyes.

Then, she got up and went to the bathroom, leaving me with the hungry squirrel. It was just kind of wandering around for awhile. Looking up at me with its big eyes. I refused to do the stupid thing my mom did and feed it.

But... but... its eyes were just so big. And it wouldn't go away. And it was so cute. And I felt bad. Can't Disney feed these things? Probably not, because they don't want them coming back to bother guests and everyone knows IF YOU FEED A STRAY ANIMAL FOOD IT WILL COME BACK.

I ignored these facts and dropped a pecan. Accidentally, you know. And the squirrel devoured it in a second.

Of course, this caused the little woodland creature to become aggressive.

I don't even know what happened, but suddenly it was ON THE TABLE TOP RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. It was one of those things that happens so fast that you are just sitting there like "WHAT? DID THIS ANIMAL JUST FLY THROUGH THE AIR?"

So, I treated the squirrel like I would a dog, taking a nut and tossing it away from the table. Also like a dog, it got the nut and then came right back.

Sigh.

Again, it was right in front of me. On the table. As if by magic.

Here's something I didn't know: Squirrels are very good at jumping. I was a bit scared it would attack me or something. I know that sounds silly, but if you could only see how feisty this squirrel really was. It had finally found some park guests dumb enough to share their Cinnamon Glazed Pecans and it seemed prime to attack. The pecans give off an intoxicating aroma that just can not be ignored when you are in the area that they are sold, and I feel like this squirrel had been smelling this delicious smell for ages, dying for a taste. Finally, we arrived. It had a taste of the mind-bogglingly delicious Cinnamon Glazed Pecans. And it was now DYING for more.

This really reminded me of Christmas Vacation when the squirrel leaps out of the Christmas tree and onto Clark Griswold.

I did not want a squirrel on my body, so I stood up and took a step back. This did not happen in one fluid motion... of course I almost tripped backwards over the bench.

Of course, by this time, we had drawn a crowd. There were several people standing by, watching. Thank you for the help, fellow Disney guests. Next time you are in danger of having a squirrel attach to your body, I will simply watch and do nothing!!!!

What happened next is obvious. I did what any self-respecting, trip-reporting Disser would do: I snapped a picture on my phone, the only belonging I had managed to salvage from the table before jumping back in fear of my life. This was after the squirrel had inspected the table, found no pecans, and then leaped onto the bench where I had surrendered them. As you can see, he is eating one.

It started jumping around, from the table to the bench to the ground and back, MANIACALLY, over and over, looking for more pecans.

I just stood there, watching, thinking I should just turn over any other valuables to the squirrel, so I could exit the park with my life in tact.

A couple of custodial CMs saw what was happening and started giggling in a surprised way, like they couldn't believe the squirrel was doing this. Of course they couldn't. Because this never happens. BECAUSE PEOPLE KNOW NOT TO FEED WILD ANIMALS.

We knew too, we just chose to do it anyway. Oh, us.

The CMs succeeded in getting the squirrel to leave. Somehow. Disney magic, I guess.

The crowd left. And then my mom came out of the bathroom all willy nilly, completely oblivious to what her little act of kindness had caused.

I just had this look on my face that had her saying "........What?" as soon as she saw me.

After explaining my near death experience, we went back to Everest to use our Fastpasses. The wait was 30 minutes by now, so they actually came in handy.

Yet again, it was YETI TIME!!!

Up next: Were we free from the squirrel? Emotionally, will I ever be free from the squirrel?!?!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #618
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Two Words: Fart Shoes.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #619
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak508 View Post
Two Words: Fart Shoes.
Seriously though... how frumpy was that story/the update/my life. It's getting a little ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #620
Disneyfreak508
Frumpy Princess ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Seriously though... how frumpy was that story/the update/my life. It's getting a little ridiculous.
Bahaha EXTREMELY frumpy. I was cracking up. And that is why we were destined to be friends. SQUIRREL, SQUIRREL, SQUIRREL!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #621
MarieTheCat24
DIS Veteran

This update was equal parts adorable, hilarious, and horrifying, much like squirrels themselves. I am glad you made it out alive, my friend.

That squirrel does have good taste in nuts though.

Cinnamon-glazed pecans >>> dirty acorns and stuff.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #622
beachphotog
Pass me a margarita

Just when you thought it couldn't happen to you.., "when squirrels attack!"

Sorry, I crack myself up. At the same time, I would prob... No definitely have been freaking out.

True story: when I was little, we used to tear up the bread ends and feed the birds when the loaf went stale. This parlayed into the squirrels eating also. These squirrels never wanted for food, those greedy buggers. They would come to the porch and eat the bread before the birds got to it. Anyway, so we stopped feeding the, for a bit and my younger brother (at the time was no more than 6 or 7) was out on the porch playing with is GI Joe's. A squirrel kept coming closer, thinking he had food, not silly old boy dolls. He was in for a shock (both my brother and the squirrel) when the squirrel bit down and right through the skin on my bro's finger. 2 stitches and a tetanus shot later, lesson learned.

Sorry for the derailment?

Follow me on twitter: @beachphotog
And on Instagram: smk31
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #623
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by __disneygirl View Post
Pascal is seriously one of the most adorable characters they've created in awhile and they really need to give him his due!

HAHA I so will. This is one of my things on my to do list this trip!

Ugh, I'm sorry about your camera. If it helps, mine's a Canon Powershot A1200 and it was only $97 and it's pretty awesome. Like, the one I was using before that (which broke at Disney) was over $400 back in 2006 and I'd say it's about equal with the Canon. It had more settings which was nice, but overall I think I like the Canon more. So hopefully you won't have to spend a fortune to get a great camera!

YES I should star in it! I should star in SOMETHING. Sigh. LOL.
We should make Pascal shirts! Online or at the Make-a-Shirt store. LOVE HIM.

Thanks for the camera advice. I still haven't heard from the zoo so I think it's long gone.

You should definitely star in something. When I was in 4th grade I was Nala in the Lion King. That's my claim to fame. I haven't been in anything since because I wanted to go out on a high note.

OMG squirrels scare me so much. Just because I'm always scared of them attacking. And the wild animals in AK are FIERCE. I was terrified of the ducks and then my friend made fun of me and then she got BIT. Hilarious, but I learned my lesson! (She did not and got bit again at Epcot. DO NOT TRUST THE DUCKS!) So glad you were safe. I suspect that as much sugar as was on the pecans caused a very intense crazed high in the squirrel. Since he is small and all and can't handle it as well as us humans. (Who often cannot handle it either. )
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #624
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Hey, those pecans are delicious, I can't really blame the squirrel for hoping you'd just give up all of them! You're right, they really do have the best Disney smell, I love just walking by them! (But eating them wins hands-down!)
Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #625
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

I knew this was going to be an awesome update right when I saw the title.

Quote:
This really reminded me of Christmas Vacation when the squirrel leaps out of the Christmas tree and onto Clark Griswold.

If I saw a squirrel that looked sad, I would have given him a pecan too. Just like you guys! I mean, yes I notice the five million signs that say "DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS" but sometimes you just have too.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #626
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfreak508 View Post
Bahaha EXTREMELY frumpy. I was cracking up. And that is why we were destined to be friends. SQUIRREL, SQUIRREL, SQUIRREL!
HAHA yes I'm just so happy I met someone as frumpy as I am. I am not alone in my frumptastic ways. Whew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieTheCat24 View Post
This update was equal parts adorable, hilarious, and horrifying, much like squirrels themselves. I am glad you made it out alive, my friend.

That squirrel does have good taste in nuts though.

Cinnamon-glazed pecans >>> dirty acorns and stuff.
hahahaha you crack me up. Oh man. Thank you and I agree. Of course Disney squirrels would know what the good stuff is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachphotog View Post
Just when you thought it couldn't happen to you.., "when squirrels attack!"

Sorry, I crack myself up. At the same time, I would prob... No definitely have been freaking out.

True story: when I was little, we used to tear up the bread ends and feed the birds when the loaf went stale. This parlayed into the squirrels eating also. These squirrels never wanted for food, those greedy buggers. They would come to the porch and eat the bread before the birds got to it. Anyway, so we stopped feeding the, for a bit and my younger brother (at the time was no more than 6 or 7) was out on the porch playing with is GI Joe's. A squirrel kept coming closer, thinking he had food, not silly old boy dolls. He was in for a shock (both my brother and the squirrel) when the squirrel bit down and right through the skin on my bro's finger. 2 stitches and a tetanus shot later, lesson learned.

Sorry for the derailment?
hahahaha "When Squirrels Attack" is obviously another movie we have to make in addition to the Bengal Breakout one. This TR is just producing so many film ideas!

OH MY GOD that is so terrible! Your poor brother! Yeah, see, moral of the story: DON'T FEED WILD ANIMALS. We're stupid. I admit it. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
We should make Pascal shirts! Online or at the Make-a-Shirt store. LOVE HIM.

Thanks for the camera advice. I still haven't heard from the zoo so I think it's long gone.

You should definitely star in something. When I was in 4th grade I was Nala in the Lion King. That's my claim to fame. I haven't been in anything since because I wanted to go out on a high note.

OMG squirrels scare me so much. Just because I'm always scared of them attacking. And the wild animals in AK are FIERCE. I was terrified of the ducks and then my friend made fun of me and then she got BIT. Hilarious, but I learned my lesson! (She did not and got bit again at Epcot. DO NOT TRUST THE DUCKS!) So glad you were safe. I suspect that as much sugar as was on the pecans caused a very intense crazed high in the squirrel. Since he is small and all and can't handle it as well as us humans. (Who often cannot handle it either. )
We SHOULD make Pascal shirts! I wonder if he's an option at the Design A Tee place in Downtown Disney. If not... we'll have to improvise.

That's awesome! I was a "Lost Kid" in Peter Pan as my stage debut. hahaha we had too many girls so the Lost Boys turned into Lost Kids.

OMG I love the ducks but I would never like reach out to one. The ducklings are so cute but I wouldn't touch even them, I mean you never know. That's a good point about the sugar... I didn't even think of that, but wow that squirrel was definitely in the middle of a sugar rush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Hey, those pecans are delicious, I can't really blame the squirrel for hoping you'd just give up all of them! You're right, they really do have the best Disney smell, I love just walking by them! (But eating them wins hands-down!)
Seriously... this squirrel is like Remy from Ratatouille. He wanted the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsDis View Post
I knew this was going to be an awesome update right when I saw the title.

If I saw a squirrel that looked sad, I would have given him a pecan too. Just like you guys! I mean, yes I notice the five million signs that say "DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS" but sometimes you just have too.
hahaha YES. I was hoping to get that reaction. I mean, if you don't love the Vacation movies, WHO ARE YOU. Seriously.

Heed my advice: don't. Just because I escaped the attack doesn't mean others will be as lucky! LOL
Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #627
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I LOVE Christmas Vacation!!! It has to be one of the best Christmas movies ever!

Haha, we had a similar experience with a squirrel at the fish and chips place in Epcot...I think we were feeding it fries, along with a few duck friends, and when we stopped it just jumped up on one of the empty chairs next to me! Now I love squirrels and pretty much any rodent of any kind, but I don't really want it jumping on top of me! Luckily, it got bored and found another family to stalk!

NEW December 2013 TR, In Progress!

My TR's/PTR's~2/13 TR~11/12 TR!~11/12 PTR!~5/12 TR!~5/12 PTR!~12/11 TR!~10/11 TR!~10/11 PTR!~11/10 TR!~11/10 PTR!~Disneymoon TR 5/10!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Old 09-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #628
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I LOVE Christmas Vacation!!! It has to be one of the best Christmas movies ever!

Haha, we had a similar experience with a squirrel at the fish and chips place in Epcot...I think we were feeding it fries, along with a few duck friends, and when we stopped it just jumped up on one of the empty chairs next to me! Now I love squirrels and pretty much any rodent of any kind, but I don't really want it jumping on top of me! Luckily, it got bored and found another family to stalk!
It definitely is! Even though I have watched it dozens of times, it just never gets old. I laugh every time.

LOL I'm glad I'm not alone in my experience with Disney's attack squirrels!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #629
__disneygirl

DECEMBER 12, 2011
Day 7, Part 4 In Which The Lion Isn't Sleeping Tonight

Next, it was over to Harambe for some deliciousness and our second safari
of the trip.

I got another Safari Cupcake...which was originally called the Zebra Cupcake... then the Safari Cupcake... and is now again called the Zebra Cupcake. Whatever, Disney.

My point is: I ate part of the cupcake they sell outside the safari with the zebra stripes on it, and saved the rest for later.

Then, we were ready for another safari! Being animal/Animal Kingdom lovers, it is necessary for us to Live It Up by going on multiple safaris.

OK so the first notable thing was that we actually saw a hippo get out of the water! I've never seen that before, have you? The driver got all excited about it, so I assume it doesn't happen that often!

KJDHFLKJHDLKJ A BABY GIRAFFE. You don't even know, guys. I live for baby animals, but there are something about baby giraffes that I just can't even deal with how cute they are. Cause they're not perfectly cute like a lion cub or something. They're weird looking. But still unbelievably adorable. And I like that.

The giraffes seemed to get the same memo that the tigers did about coming right up to people, cause they were all up in our George Foreman! I loved it!

Momma and baby

It's always hard to see the cheetahs, but we had a pretty good view of them this time. AWESOME.

So we get to our favorite part. MY BELOVED LIONS.

I was really banking on them being up and about because we didn't see them earlier in the trip and I NEED to see them every single trip.

Fingers crossed.

The beautiful lioness was atop her hill..,

Based on the title of this chapter, you can probably guess who we saw next.

OH, LOOK! WHO IS THAT???????

OH NO ONE, JUST THE KING OF THE MOTHEREFFING JUNGLE IS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWW YEAH.

The lions never fail me! I LOVE YOU, LIONS!

Extreme close-up... Try and find something more beautiful in the world, I dare you. OK, maybe cheddar cheese soup is more beautiful. But besides that, good luck.

Pumbaa was up and out as well! I usually don't see the warthogs outside of their little cave thing.

Yeah, yet again, we had a great safari. I don't know what it is, but we always have the best luck at Animal Kingdom. I'm so grateful to Disney for making all these animals accessible to us like this. Every time I go I just can't believe what I'm experiencing!

I definitely suggest going on the safari more than once per trip. We never see everything just one time. It's really worth it to go back... even if you do it once in the morning and once on the afternoon on the same day. Trust me!

Up Next: Trapped in Animal Kingdom.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #630
MarieTheCat24
DIS Veteran

My theory is that baby giraffes are so adorable because they're babies, but they're still taller than us. Most baby animals are tiny little balls of fluff, but giraffes are different and therefore more adorable.

That lion is AMAZING. His mane is flawless. I'd like to spend an afternoon trading hair tips with the guy. I mean, how does he keep it so perfect without product!?! I NEED TO KNOW.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: