Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I was having lunch today with a nephew of mine, who is a coordinator (or lead) at a MK attraction which uses FPs.

He said that so far, while he has been working, he only had problems with two people. One was a family that was five minutes late, and he made an exception to allow them through the line. Otherwise they generally did not have problems.

The other problem was a Guest who says she was not warned. My nephew showed her right on the ticket (see photo in Post #3 above) "Not able to accommodate late arrivals" as well as signs on every FP machine and the Guest gave up.

And since he has worked for about ten days since the policy went into effect, he seems to think that it is working fine.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

As a former regular Late Fast Pass User, here are my observations from our March 15-22 trip, in complying with the new enforcement policy:

1 - Use of Disney Mobile Magic is now much more valuable than it used to be, because it is the only app which gives accurate Fast Pass return times. (Other apps are fine for giving estimates, but one wants more precision when one is actually in the park. For example, Tower of Terror was operating at only partial capacity a good part of March 22, and the Standby Wait time and Fast Pass Return time on Lines were wildly off.)

2 - While Mobile Magic saved me from making some Fast Pass runs for which the return time would have been too early or too late, this was offset by the necessity of making cross-park treks that would not have been necessary in the "old days." For example, after riding Space Mountain, we would typically get Fast Passes for later use in the day, but now the return time was too early for us to make it back to Tomorrowland in time to use them. So they went to waste (it was sad that we could no longer give away unused FPs for someone else to use), and I made an extra cross-park trip in the late morning to get FPs for afternoon use.

3 - Our Fast Pass line waits were consistenly shorter than they had ever been in previous trips. Don't know if this was just chance occurrence or not, but it occurred at Test Track, Soarin, Expedition Everest (twice), Kali River Rapids, Space Mountain, Rock n Roller Coaster (5 times). None of these were in the evenings, however. Most were late morning and early or mid-afternoon.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Mamiamjo
"M-I-C... S-E"

Why implement the new policy now?

I've read that the new adherence to the FP window is in preparation for the next generation Fast Pass, but why? What about adhering to the window "now" prepares for next gen in the future?
The only thing I can think of is that maybe Disney needs data on line times, return windows etc when they don't let people in late. Otherwise, why not just wait until they put next gen in place and make the change all at once?

Any other ideas?
Mamiamjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #19
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
As a former regular Late Fast Pass User, here are my observations from our March 15-22 trip, in complying with the new enforcement policy:

1 - Use of Disney Mobile Magic is now much more valuable than it used to be, because it is the only app which gives accurate Fast Pass return times. (Other apps are fine for giving estimates, but one wants more precision when one is actually in the park. For example, Tower of Terror was operating at only partial capacity a good part of March 22, and the Standby Wait time and Fast Pass Return time on Lines were wildly off.)

2 - While Mobile Magic saved me from making some Fast Pass runs for which the return time would have been too early or too late, this was offset by the necessity of making cross-park treks that would not have been necessary in the "old days." For example, after riding Space Mountain, we would typically get Fast Passes for later use in the day, but now the return time was too early for us to make it back to Tomorrowland in time to use them. So they went to waste (it was sad that we could no longer give away unused FPs for someone else to use), and I made an extra cross-park trip in the late morning to get FPs for afternoon use.

3 - Our Fast Pass line waits were consistenly shorter than they had ever been in previous trips. Don't know if this was just chance occurrence or not, but it occurred at Test Track, Soarin, Expedition Everest (twice), Kali River Rapids, Space Mountain, Rock n Roller Coaster (5 times). None of these were in the evenings, however. Most were late morning and early or mid-afternoon.
Good report, thanks!
Looks like I'll be getting some extra exercise in two weeks!
Did you have any trouble with connecting to Mobile Magic during your trip? I read a report somewhere about someone not being able to use it because of the heavy crowds tying up the system?

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #20
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post
I've read that the new adherence to the FP window is in preparation for the next generation Fast Pass, but why? What about adhering to the window "now" prepares for next gen in the future?
The only thing I can think of is that maybe Disney needs data on line times, return windows etc when they don't let people in late. Otherwise, why not just wait until they put next gen in place and make the change all at once?

Any other ideas?
I'd bet they need the data to estimate how many total advance reservations per hour they should allow with X-Pass.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Did you have any trouble with connecting to Mobile Magic during your trip? I read a report somewhere about someone not being able to use it because of the heavy crowds tying up the system?
I would occasionally be disconnected, but only for a couple of minutes at a time, so that was never a serious problem.

A bigger problem was that our last morning at Hollywood Studios, the app kept telling me that "No attractions are open." What a shock when we went to Tower of Terror, expecting to do standby (just as we had done our first Hollywood Studios afternoon three times in a row with 10 minute waits) and discovered the Standby Line was 150 minutes! (CM told us that only one elevator was operating, and the wait should be shorter if we came back later. Sure enough, in the early afternoon, the wait had dropped to 140 minutes... While touringplans' Lines app was working, it told us the Standby Wait was 37 minutes, and it gave a Fast Pass return time that was off by 3 hours...)

At any rate, when Mobile Magic isn't working right, it can be problemmatical. On a previous trip, I remember that it didn't work during morning EMH.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamiamjo View Post

Any other ideas?
They can definitely collect data right now. On the other hand, they can just run simulations to get all the answers they need for NextGen, no need to change anything just for that.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
They can definitely collect data right now. On the other hand, they can just run simulations to get all the answers they need for NextGen, no need to change anything just for that.
Simulations don't account for human idiosyncrasies...and that's a big part of what will affect the results

Why now? Well, who knows. There was some internal scuttlebutt that they wanted time to get guests and CMs used to the new enforcement rules. And also likely to figure out how to deal with conflict issues that will inevitably arise (like keeping the receipt from an ADR, etc.)
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #24
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

They will want to get data on standby line demography and behavior as well as FASTPASS line behavior (and also FASTPASS fetching behavior) with the enforced time windows in effect.

It's a lot easier to do this in the field as opposed to constructing and running simulations.

You cannot predict the no-show rate while FASTPASSes continue to be accepted after the time window. In addtion, accepting FASTPASSes late will change the fetching behavior. With Next Gen or XPass competing for ride slots with FASTPASS and standby, it is important to get a handle on the no-show rate and also take advantage of the no-show rate.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
As someone else brought up on another thread, if it was about being "fair" to everyone, they'd certainly be enforcing it at DL as well, but they're not.

There has to be another reason.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Simulations don't account for human idiosyncrasies...and that's a big part of what will affect the results

Why now? Well, who knows. There was some internal scuttlebutt that they wanted time to get guests and CMs used to the new enforcement rules. And also likely to figure out how to deal with conflict issues that will inevitably arise (like keeping the receipt from an ADR, etc.)
I understand, however how much time you need to figure out holes in system and how to handle then and how much time they need to adjust CMs. Unless NextGen is to start in 2 months I do not see why they need it.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #27
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
I understand, however how much time you need to figure out holes in system and how to handle then and how much time they need to adjust CMs. Unless NextGen is to start in 2 months I do not see why they need it.
What we see is irrelevant. It's what they feel the need to do.

There are a number of different seasons that attract different levels of guests with different plans. It's conceivable they want a whole year's worth of data.

Right now, you've got spring-breakers. Then it's flower and garden, then a bit of slow time followed by the normal summer rush, then the dog days where they entice the people who for free dining, then the food and wine snobs , then the costume wearers, then the early holidayers, then the x-mas-to-new-years crush, then slow time again...

Each caters to a different crowd, who may strategize differently. So it is conceivable they need ALL that data.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #28
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

AND it's also possible that it's being done purposely to "annoy" people (that sounds bad) so that when the next gen system comes out people will start to say WOW what a "GREAT IMPROVEMENT, I don't have to dash to get a FP anymore, I can reserve my times in advance". If people think it's THAT much of an improvement, they might even be able to charge for the system. Accounts that I read are back and forth on that, as are reports on who exactly will be eligible.

With the old non-enforcement system in place it was a very easy way to tour. And any change to the newest system later on might be met with a lot of resistance because it just didn't seem to be needed. The enforcement makes it a bit more difficult, and I really think the newest system will really make it easy for the minority of us (all of you here too) who would really have no trouble having our "big" rides lined up in advance.

But, who knows.
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #29
Mamiamjo
"M-I-C... S-E"

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettgirl View Post
AND it's also possible that it's being done purposely to "annoy" people (that sounds bad) so that when the next gen system comes out people will start to say WOW what a "GREAT IMPROVEMENT,

But, who knows.
Mamiamjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
Day-Day
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-dad66 View Post
... For example, after riding Space Mountain, we would typically get Fast Passes for later use in the day, but now the return time was too early for us to make it back to Tomorrowland in time to use them. So they went to waste (it was sad that we could no longer give away unused FPs for someone else to use), and I made an extra cross-park trip in the late morning to get FPs for afternoon use.

Why could you no longer give unused FPs away? (Didn't pull them to start with?)
Day-Day is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: