Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Lm3js
Mouseketeer

The Candy Cane inn is nicer than the ones on harbor, has a large pool and good breakfast. It has a shuttle, but is also walkable if your kids are not too little. We typically stay at one of the ones directly across the street from DL as we are not picky (just needs to be clean) and we want a short walk at the end of a long day.
Lm3js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #17
chrissiecutie
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMole View Post
HoJos is a motel? OK, but don't tell my wife because she's not a motel person but loved HoJos when we went two years ago.

Seriously though, if you're picky and looking for a suite and concierge service, then you should just stay on site at DLH or GCH and be done with it. If you're looking for this level of service, then crammed shuttle buses with young kids is sort of a step backwards.

If you are open to so called motels, then HoJos is not a bad option. You're just not going to get the room service, on site restaurant/coffee and hand holding you may be looking for in a full service hotel. As others have said, consult Trip Advisor. That can't be stressed enough. I've never been let down by doing research there first.
So as someone with hotel industry experience and a former Guest Services Mgr for a large-ish chain...let me see if I can't help...The official industry definitions are pretty simple. If you walk straight from the parking lot to your room, it's a motel. If you have interior corridors, then technically it's a hotel.

Now...there are of course varying degrees of hotel & motel. Some motels are really very nice while some hotels are not. In this case, you would want to refer to the star rating. I think you'll find that most hotels/motels within walking distance are a 2 or 3 star depending upon their amenities. Concierge service is really more of a 4 or 5 star amenity, so you will want to look for that rating when choosing a hotel/motel- I'm assuming here that this is one of your priorities.

Personally, I value a clean room with comfy beds just above anything else. This is why my family stays at the HoJo. Well, that and the great rates & awesome pirate water park!

I love a hotel/motel with character. And Disney truely has some of the best! I'm thinking the former space age Best Western or the very retro front desk at the HoJo and charm of the Candy Cane. Usually when travelling, I stick to specific chains because I know what to expect. But it's only at Disney, that I will actually stay at a "no-name" hotel/motel.

I just found the Hilton Anaheim on tripadvisor and they've had a recent remodel to include a kids water park area. This hotel and the Hojo's are the only 2 "non Disney" hotels that offer this amenity. You might look into that one to see if they offer concierge...plus they have a Starbucks.!

Son's 1st Disneyland Trip 8/14-8/23/2008
DH Got a Job Celebratory Trip 5/29-6/2/2010
Surprise Birthday Trip for DS 2/26-3/5/2011
Halloween Trip 10/1/2012-10/4/2012

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
1st trip in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2011
chrissiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
lulugirl1968
Earning My Ears

Homewood Suites! (it is a Hilton property)

2 room suite
kitchenette
Free, hot daily breakfast
M-Th they serve a free dinner with beer & wine
Many restaurants close by, and Target across the street

It is a mile from D-land, but they have a shuttle that runs every 1/2 hour for a very small fee.

We stayed in May and loved it!
lulugirl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

I am in this same dilemma. If the Disneyland or Grand Californian rooms looked even roughly commiserate with their price tag I would pay the prices, huge as they are, and be done with it, but even the remodeled DLH, which seems far more appealing decor and size-wise, just has a real "motel" quality to me ... And no matter how beautiful the pools and grounds and short the walk, I can't picture paying $400+/night for motel-quality rooms. (Bless Disney for trying, though.)

Currently we are looking at the Hilton Anaheim or (despite the above) the Disneyland Hotel, though we can get a suite at the former (more than double size room as DLH) for half the cost of the latter.

I did have a question in here (not just a rant ... Can you rent for cash (like you can in DisneyWorld) the DVC units at the Grand Californian?
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramstad View Post
Jack, do you mean Residence Inn Maingate, or Ramada Inn Maingate?

Or am I confused?
Residence Inn Maingate =hot breakfast Not Ramada, it is VERY basic

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #21
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramstad View Post
Jack, do you mean Residence Inn Maingate, or Ramada Inn Maingate?

Or am I confused?
Oops. Didn't know about the other. My review was for the Ramada Inn Maingate. Sorry to confuse it!
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
milan15
Mouseketeer

My personal favorite is the Best Western Stovall's Inn.
It's right on the corner of Katella and West street and a really easy walk to the parks.

The one thing we really love about this hotel is it's location. You get to walk through DTD before going to the parks. Some may not like this, but I really think it's awesome. You also get to go through the GCH's main lobby... which is slightly depressing.

As for the actual hotel itself. The rooms are wonderful, the breakfast is great (though I'll admit, my standards are low) and the staff is very helpful and friendly. They are on getawaytoday, typically the cheapest or second cheapest hotel on there

If you are looking for cheaper, look here or at Quality Inn and Suites At the Park just a little further down. Both have been great for us and pretty cheap compared to other hotels in the area.
milan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #23
smiles33
DIS Veteran

My kids were 2 and 5 when we went last September and we all LOVED HoJo's Kids' Suite. If you can, book EARLY (like maybe 10 months in advance?) because there are only 12 or so Kids' Suites. Two connecting rooms, two full bathrooms, plus the fun bunkbed and sofa for the kids. There's also plenty of room for a double stroller!

If both kids are in a double stroller, then the walk is only a big deal for the parents. I made 7 round-trips in 3 days and did get shin splints. However, I was also racing all over the park to get FP so I could single rider during the girls' naps, so it's possible if we had stayed on-site I still would have the shin splints. Read my TR for more details!

Have fun!
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
whoopsiedoodle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
My kids were 2 and 5 when we went last September and we all LOVED HoJo's Kids' Suite. If you can, book EARLY (like maybe 10 months in advance?) because there are only 12 or so Kids' Suites. Two connecting rooms, two full bathrooms, plus the fun bunkbed and sofa for the kids. There's also plenty of room for a double stroller!

If both kids are in a double stroller, then the walk is only a big deal for the parents. I made 7 round-trips in 3 days and did get shin splints. However, I was also racing all over the park to get FP so I could single rider during the girls' naps, so it's possible if we had stayed on-site I still would have the shin splints. Read my TR for more details!

Have fun!
Thank you so much! I read your review and am starting to lean towards this plan! I really need to talk it over with DH but he's not ready to discuss it yet It's nice to know that it's less than 10 min with a stroller. Speaking of which. How did you manage with your double? What did you do with it while on the rides? I'm a total DL novice!
whoopsiedoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
ALTkids
Earning My Ears

I wouldn't necessarily call it our favorite, but the Anaheim Plaza is kind of our go-to option. Inexpensive, rooms always available, and most importantly, a short walk to DL. The rooms are large with patios/balconies. The pool is HUGE! Plenty of parking.
ALTkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #26
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
I am in this same dilemma. If the Disneyland or Grand Californian rooms looked even roughly commiserate with their price tag I would pay the prices, huge as they are, and be done with it, but even the remodeled DLH, which seems far more appealing decor and size-wise, just has a real "motel" quality to me ... And no matter how beautiful the pools and grounds and short the walk, I can't picture paying $400+/night for motel-quality rooms. (Bless Disney for trying, though.)

Currently we are looking at the Hilton Anaheim or (despite the above) the Disneyland Hotel, though we can get a suite at the former (more than double size room as DLH) for half the cost of the latter.

I did have a question in here (not just a rant ... Can you rent for cash (like you can in DisneyWorld) the DVC units at the Grand Californian?
Yes you can rent points for the Villas at the GCH but its hard to do since there are so few units which drives down the market for rentals.

I do not find the rooms at the DLH or the GCH anywhere near motel like. They both have interior corridors and at the GCH you do have a balcony. The furnishings are very nice in both. They also both have room and valet service, full serve restaurants as well as quick serve restaurants and yes themed pools with cabanas, bars and waitstaff to take your order. To me that is way beyond the scope of a motel.

I do agree that onsite hotels at both WDW and DL are sort of in a class all their own which is why they can't be easily compared to other chains whether you are talking hotel or motel.

Even the value resorts at WDW to me can never be called a motel. A motel does not usually have themed pools, concierge services to help guests with anything they need and lovely grounds.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #27
NorthernCalMom
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at the Ramada Inn Maingate before. The breakfast they served last year was hard boiled eggs, toast, danish, instant oatmeal, cereal. Milk and coffee. It seemed like a good deal at first, but my picky kids decided they no longer liked the breakfast after day 2. They did love the pool, though. This might be just a case of nostalgia, but it seemed to me last time that their service wasn't as good as it had been in years past (breakfast room didn't open at the time they said a few mornings, rooms were a bit dingy... I guess if we had paid more we could have gotten "premium rooms).
Old 06-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #28
Airb330
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswh View Post
I totally get it. Even though we don't spend much time in the room on a DLR vacation, I need a nice, new hotel (not motel). We have stayed at the Hyatt OC several times, and it is the only offsite hotel I'd consider. It is very nice, recently remodeled, nice restaurant, full service Starbucks in the lobby and outstanding guest service. Check out the 2 bedroom queen suite - perfect for a family of four. King room with bathroom plus another room with 2 queens for the kids, with a living room in between. And only one door that opens to the outside. It is a great setup especially if one or both kids need an afternoon nap. And, IMO, very reasonably priced. I think the Hyatt is nicer than the GCH; we only stay at the GCH bc we are spoiled by the convenience.

The Hyatt does have a pool - nothing spectacular but good for splashing around. The price you pay for all this is that you would not want to walk to the parks. Too far. They have a shuttle that runs every 30 minutes - very reliable and it's a 5 minute ride. You do have to fold up your stroller.

I know most will disagree, but I actually prefer taking a shuttle to crossing six lanes of traffic with little kids. And the nicer accommodations were worth it to me.

I would highly recommend spending a few hours reading reviews on Tripadvisor and looking at photos for wherever you decide to stay. Nothing worse than being disappointed in your hotel when you've been looking forward to a fun Disney vacation! (OK there are worse things, but it can be a bummer).

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!
You sound just like us. We always need a nice, newer hotel, even if we are in the parks all day! We did the Hyatt (before the renovation) in 2009 and loved it! We did the Hilton last time. We used Priceline and last minute travel for each trip respectively. I think you'd like the Hilton. I liked it slightly better since its closer and I thought the pool area was a little better.

Hilton or Hyatt for an off site hotel for sure, unless we were using starwood points...then that Sheraton Park looks "ok".
Airb330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #29
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltymom View Post
We've stayed there 4 times in the past. It's nice, basic, and a 10 minute walk to the turnstyles (not counting bag check). Basic and filling continental breakfast, enough to eat our fill so we can hit the park running.
They must have changed their fare. We've been staying at the Residence Inn Maingate the last 7 years and they have a full hot breakfast (eggs, meat, biscuits and gravy, pancakes, waffles, french toast.)

I love the staff, and we do on occasion get someone above us who stomp around, but to me, it is more the people not the hotel. The hotel is laid out like a small apartment complex. They have "Manager's Specials" a couple nights a week with burgers or nachos, and they have fire pits and BBQ areas. When we take the younger nieces and nephews, they love going to the play area.

For us, it is our number one choice.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
S. S. Columbia
DIS Veteran

^ Malcon10t, there was some confusion about the "RI Maingate" in this thread.

In post #3, Jack's positive comments were about the Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate -- 1700 South Clementine Street, Anaheim (DISlink) (wikimap).

In post #8, quiltymom mentioned the continental breakfast for the Ramada Inn Maingate -- 1650 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim (DISlink) (wikimap).

HTH

"I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place -- a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it." -Walt Disney

Last edited by S. S. Columbia; 06-22-2012 at 10:28 AM.
S. S. Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: